new

2010/03/08

around the countryside

As I was riding the bus to visit a friend in a market town I decided to take some pictures of what the fields look like at the beginning of spring. Right now the farmers are replanting sugar cane b/c this plant can be grown year around. The farmers are also planting watermelons. The seeds first begin in a green house then the sprouts are planted in the fields. There are rows plastic covers over the sprouts for protection and I think a second reason could be for collecting moisture. The spring rains have not arrived causing a low harvest for some crops.

I am amazed at the wide variety of farm equipment used just in the countryside. As I grew up in Oklahoma I was accustomed to seeing John Deer tractors that my family used. So seeing them used in the fields made me smile as I was reminded of home. By saying wide variety I mean that the farmers use tractors and they also still use the plow pulled by a cow, over here pulled by a water buffalo.
I am going to try to take a photo of a field that has both the tractor and water buffalo working alongside each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WorldTimeServer Clock

Beijing